The passing of the federal Omnibus Reconciliation Act by the US congress in 1987 (OBRA-87), required the states to maintain and implement OBRA requirements in the program, certification and employment of nurse aides in the nursing homes and other similar approved health care settings. The federal legislation also demanded each state to maintain a Nurse Aide Registry and list these nurse aides that are certified by meeting OBRA requirements and do not have any substantiated findings against them. The Registry also maintain all pending investigation and substantiated findings records including abuse or neglect of residents, misappropriation or misuse of resident and facility property, commitment of any frauds or diversion of drugs.
It is also true that to remain in the Registry, it is essential you must maintain your CNA License in current status and must be renewed before it gets expired. The state law and the State Board of Nursing require that you must work for the specific period of time within 2 years before the expiry of the license and complete continuing education for certain hours to maintain the license in current status.
Most of the state Nurse Aide Registry provides online services to CNAs, public, facility owners and other state Nurse Aide registry and agencies to verify a CNA. CNA Verification is applied for obtaining following information:
- A CNA can verify the status of his/her license, whether it is still in current status or expired because on occasions nurse aides are fully absorbed in their work and forget to renew the certification and it lapses, without their knowledge.
- The public or the nursing homes and other facilities employers can verify the current status of nurse aides, they are aiming to employ or to find out if the nurse aide employed by them posses substantiated findings or investigation is due against them for abuse or neglect of residents, misappropriation or misuse of resident and facility property, commitment of any frauds or diversion of drugs.
CNA Verification is essential to meet the OBRA requirements of employing only these nurse aides by the facilities that meet the Board or state and federal law requirements.
The details about the nurse aides can be ascertained online applying following methods
- Entering the name of CNAs
- Entering last four digits of their social security number
- Entering their registration no.