Since the year of 1987, all the states of USA have started approving the CNA training programs under the OBRA/87. And each state has its own Nurse Aide Registry to main the records of all the active CNAs in the state.
The nursing aspirants, who wish to pursue a career as a nursing assistant in IL, need to meet the following prerequisites:
- Completion of the state approved and accredited CNA training program in Illinois.
- Clearing the CNA assessment test.
- Get listed on the State Nurse Aide Registry.
- Also clear the criminal background check and drug test.
There are so many reputed community colleges, nursing homes, schools and private institutions, which offer CNA training programs in Illinois. But before enrolling in any of them, make sure that the training program is accredited and the teachers are certified teaching professionals. In total it is mandatory for all these schools and colleges to proffer nursing students with at least one hundred and fifty hours of training, which consists of classroom instructions and practical training sessions. During these classes, students are trained perfectly in the following aspects of nursing:
- CPR training.
- Patients’ rights.
- Nutrition and infection control.
- Enhanced interpersonal and communication skills.
- Housekeeping skills, such as emptying trash cans, cleaning rooms, changing bed covers etc.
- Mental health care.
- Adult care.
- Emergency procedures.
- Human anatomy.
- Medical vocabulary and terminology.
The department of health of Illinois regulates the entire Nursing aide training programs in the state. The completion of this CNA training program in Illinois leads to the CNA evaluation exams (written and practical). It is essential that all the nursing students must clear these tests to receive CNA Certification.
The major highlight of CNA training programs in Illinois is that after receiving certification, you can work in any of the medical care facility, such as hospital, clinic, nursing home, home health setting or even at a mental care institution.
Some of the best CNA schools and colleges in Illinois are listed below:
- Advanced Medical and Technical Institute (AMTI) – Schaumburg
999 Plaza Dr. Suite 280, Schaumburg, IL 60173
- Americare Institute – Schaumburg
1834 Walden Office Sq., Schaumburg, IL 60173
- Apostolic Christian Home Nurse Aide Training Program – Roanoke
1102 West Randolph, Roanoke, IL 61561
- Beck Area Vocational Center Nurse Aide Training – Red Bud
6137 Beck Rd., Red Bud, IL 62278
- Elim Outreach Nurse Assistant Program – Homewood
1820 Ridge Rd., Homewood, Illinois 60430
- Excelsior Health Care Academy CNA Training Program – Chicago Heights
523 South Halsted St., Chicago Heights, Illinois 60411
- First Choice International Nursing Assistant Program – Glenview
1245 Milwaukee Ave., Glenview, Illinois 60025
- Flora High School Nurse Aide Program
Heartland Community College – Normal
1500 West Raab Rd., Normal, IL 61761
- Hearts Academy Nurse Aide Training Course – Oak Forest
15048 Cicero Ave., Oak Forest, IL 60452
- Heritage Manor CNA Training Course – Normal
509 North Adelaide Street, Normal, IL 61761
- Joliet Junior College Nurse Aide Training Course – Main Campus
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, Illinois 60431
- Kankakee Area Career Center CNA Training Course – Bourbonnais
4083 North 1000 West Road, Bourbonnais, Illinois 60914
- Lincoln Land Community College Nursing Assistant Course – Litchfield
#1 Lincoln Land Drive, Litchfield, Illinois 62056
- Newton Community High School Nurse Assistant Program
201 Westend Ave., Newton, Illinois 62448
- Northwestern Institute of Health and Technology Nurse Aide Course – Chicago
4641 North Ashland Ave., Chicago, IL 60640
- Okaw Area Vocational Center – Vandalia
1109 North 8th Street, Vandalia, IL 62471
- Pana Adult Center CNA Course
P.O. Box 377, Pana, Illinois 62557
- Omega Healthcare Technical School CNA Program – Evanston
1719 Howard Street, Evanston, Illinois 60202